Thursday, October 22, 2009

Net result from ePing.py

The company that creates and maintains our web applications apparently seemed to be able to "optimize"their code.

Last week my director asked me to mail an excerpt from the log to them, showing how many timeouts out sites have. They of course give no feedback to me, but the amount of e-mail notifications has been down drastically. And since yesterday, when I put the last version to work with a higher default-timeout of 10 seconds (instead of 5 seconds), I haven't received any notifications at all. Actually, as of now, nothing has been written to the log. So I guess their code optimizations, and the higher timeout value, made this possible.

I started the basic idea actually already in March this year, but started on a completely new code around July, and under a different name. And it seems that it has already paid of for my employer... Since it's a e-tailer, any downtime is possible missed orders...

No comments: